The four men convicted in the killing of Jacksonville rapper Julio Foolio will spend the rest of their lives behind bars after a Florida jury declined to recommend the death penalty.
On Friday, jurors sentenced Isaiah Chance, Sean Gathright, Davion Murphy, and Rashad Murphy to life in prison without parole for their roles in the June 2024 ambush that left the rapper dead in Tampa. The group was convicted of first-degree murder last week.
Prosecutors argued the shooting was part of a carefully planned attack tied to an ongoing feud between rival Jacksonville gangs.
Assistant State Attorney Scott Harmon described the murder as “cold” and “calculated” during closing arguments. “Every citizen in this country is entitled to due process and the right to life,” Harmon told jurors. “And Charles Jones had the right to life.”
Foolio, born Charles Jones, was killed outside a Tampa hotel while celebrating his 26th birthday. Prosecutors said gunmen opened fire on the rapper’s vehicle around 4:30 a.m., injuring three others.
The jury deliberated for just over an hour before deciding against recommending death sentences. Judge Michelle Sisco thanked jurors for their work on one of the toughest cases she had encountered.
Formal sentencing is scheduled for June 22.
