One of the men charged in the killing of Young Dolph has officially been sentenced after taking a plea deal tied to the rapper’s 2021 death.
Cornelius Smith pleaded guilty Friday to second-degree murder during a court hearing in Memphis. The 32-year-old was sentenced to 20 years in prison after reaching an agreement with prosecutors.
Young Dolph was killed in November 2021 after being shot at a bakery in Memphis.
Smith had initially been charged with first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, and conspiracy charges connected to the fatal shooting of the Memphis rapper, born Adolph Thornton Jr. Under the plea agreement, those additional charges will be dropped.
During the hearing, prosecutors acknowledged Smith’s cooperation in the investigation and trial proceedings tied to the case.
Cornelius Smith (one of the men that killed young dolph) took accepted a plea deal of 20 years in prison
— Shannonnn sharpes Burner (PARODY Account) (@shannonsharpeee) May 15, 2026
Prosecutor says cooperation from the beginning has been great and him testifying truthfully in court against his co defendant helped
Charge was 2nd degree murder pic.twitter.com/CCp1xgMYBg
“From his arrest until now, Cornelius has accepted responsibility, and he’s agreed to cooperate,” Shelby County Deputy District Attorney Paul Hagerman said in a statement
Hagerman added that Young Dolph’s family understood prosecutors had to weigh Smith’s testimony when pursuing convictions against others involved. Smith later testified that he and Justin Johnson carried out the shooting. Johnson was convicted of first-degree murder last year and sentenced to life in prison plus an additional 35 years.
Smith’s attorney, Michael Scholl, told reporters his client is expected to receive credit for time served, reducing the amount of prison time he has left.